Electric car is the need of the hour.
With the increasing pollution level, electric cars are gaining their popularities.
There could be the possibility that till 2040 some countries may ban gasoline cars. So, there would be only electric vehicles on road.
What does an Electric vehicle means?
A vehicle whose source of power generation is from electrical energy, is termed as an electric vehicle.
The power is generated from one or more than one electric motors using electrical energy from the rechargeable batteries.
Types of Electric Vehicles –
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle(HEV) –
As the name suggest, this type of vehicle is a combination of electric power system and the standard gasoline internal combustion engine. This hybrid system improves the fuel economy, though this vehicle cannot be charged through an electric socket.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle(PHEV) –
It follows the same system as that of Hybrid Electric Vehicle, in addition to this a Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle uses electric motor for power transmission using electrical energy from the rechargeable batteries. They also have an internal combustion engine in case the battery drains out.
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle(PEV) –
This is the most environmental friendly vehicle, a 100% electric vehicle with no internal combustion engine. It stores its electrical energy in the rechargeable batteries, which needs to be charged by plugging in the socket.
How much an electric vehicle can travel in a single charge?
The travelling range for Plug-in-Electric Vehicles (purely electric) can range from 60 miles (96.5 km) to more than 300 miles (482.8 km) in a single charge. 300 miles in a single charge is incredible.
Some of the examples are –
|Model||Travel range per charge in miles||Travel range per charge in km|
|Tesla model 3||200||324.8|
|Tesla Model X||289||465.1|
|Tesla Model S||315||506.9|
ELECTRIC VEHICLE FACTS
- The PEV needs to plug into a 120-volt socket.
- An electric car runs silently on roads, thus reducing noise pollution.
- Compact gasoline car cost you around $1400 per year on an average where as the PEV’s needs no fuel and there charging cost is around $400.
- A census have figured it out that more than 50% of the car users worldwide has a travelling distance of less than 10 miles (16km) a day to their work place. Thus usage of electric vehicle at least for them would be both economical and ecological.
- Electric vehicle usage can reduce the Carbon dioxide content by a large margin.
- The Electric vehicle can reach up to the maximum torque very quickly as compared to gasoline engines.
- Nissan Leaf has been the world’s best selling plug-in electric car along with Tesla Model S.Difference between Electric cars and cars with internal combustion engine.
|Electric Car||Gasoline Car|
|It is powered by electricity.||Needs fuel normally petrol and diesel for combustion.|
|Can be charged at home.||Needs to go to a petrol station.|
|Emission free.||Responsible for greenhouse effect.
|Average car range 100+miles/charge.||300+ miles per refill|
|Takes hours to recharge.||Takes minutes to refuel.
|Very low maintenance and running cost.||High maintenance and running cost.|
|Do not require pollution checks.||Requires frequent pollution checks.
|Silent and smooth drive.||Drive can be noisy and jerky.|
|Expensive to buy||Affordable.|
- One can easily charge an electric car from home
- Silent and smoother drive
- Better acceleration than the gasoline vehicles.
- Low maintenance and running cost.
- No emission of green house gases.
- Not every house has parking facility thus making charging form home impossible.
- Take a hours to charge fully.
- Less charging stations.
- The range per charge is far shorter for an average PEV as compared to the cars with internal combustion engines.
- They tend to be costlier than the gasoline cars.
Top 5 best selling electric cars –
1. Tesla Model S
Nissan Leaf EV
BYD Tang PHEV
Chevrolet Volt EREV
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Switching to electric cars should be our next step, though in India this situation will arrive in next 5 years (min), but in the other nations where electric cars are already popular and they have plenty of options to choose from, one must plan to buy an Electric Vehicle next.